Eric at Lucii.org on 29 Apr 2010 13:29:03 -0700

[PLUG] Gnome Do question

I use Gnome Do (thanks again, Alex) but I'm having one hassle with it.

My system is Ubuntu Intrepid but I want later versions of Thunderbird and
Firefox.  To do that, I just install the binary packages is a special apps
directory just for me and set up a bash alias like this:

alias thunderbird='/home/eric/applications/thunderbird/thunderbird '

When I ask bash "which thunderbird" it replies:
    /usr/bin/thunderbird
When I ask bash "type thunderbird" it replies:
    thunderbird is aliased to `/home/eric/apps/thunderbird/thunderbird '

The alias overrides the /usr/bin/thunderbird version from the command line but
when I start it from Gnome Do, it defaults to the /usr/bin/thunderbird.   How do
I tell Do to use the aliased version - or is there even a better way?

Thanks,
Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas