bergman on 7 May 2010 07:53:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How to share write access to files via scp?...

In the message dated: Thu, 06 May 2010 20:16:03 EDT,
The pithy ruminations from Fred Stluka on
<Re: [PLUG] How to share write access to files via scp?...> were:
=> Linux gurus,

I've run into a similar question--setting up "dropbox" directories for shared
projects. The solution I've found is to use "incron". That package uses the
kernel-level inotify service to receive a message when a file or directory is
changed. The "incron" daemon uses a cron-like syntax to specify what object
(file or directory) to watch, what changes to monitor (ie., file creation,
completion of write, etc.), and what command to run when a matching change
happens. This is many orders of magnitude faster than a cron job or writing a
program to constantly poll() a directory.

Take a look at incron:

	http://inotify.aiken.cz/?section=incron&page=about&lang=en

Mark