Jack Hill on 20 May 2010 05:22:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] (OT) Philadelphia Wireless

On Thu, 20 May 2010, Kyle Winfree wrote:

> So at what point is someone on the list going to say "I (or the
> company I work for) will donate the machines if other plug members
> donate thier time?"

I am actually a member of a student organization at Drexel, TechServ,
whose primary mission to donate computers to people who otherwise would not
have them. If anyone knows of a library that is seeking or would benefit
from a donation please point them at us. Website:
http://dusers.drexel.edu/techserv/ Email: techserv@drexel.edu Phone:
215-253-8374.

We usually try to ship Ubuntu on the machines (in the past, we have made
shipped machines blank so people could use their own licenses (they
wanted to run some proprietary tax software that didn't work with WINE,
and they had a government grant to pay for licenses)) and it is generally
well received (well, there was one person who was unhappy about Windows
95 going away, but she would have been unhappy about any change at all).

Jack Hill
TechServ Treasurer