Casey Bralla on 29 May 2010 19:00:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Domain Registrar Recommendations

I just can't bring myself to use the services of a company called "Go Daddy".
They sound like a bunch of frat-boy drunkard geeks who think they are too
clever by half.

As Fred Stluka mentioned, a registrar has a fiduciary duty to safeguard your
domain record and make sure it simply __works__.  Just like a bank, a
registrar should have a "personality" of competence and control, not a Daytona
Beach spring break party.

As for easy-to-use web interfaces, a Registrar _has_ to do it that way in
order to keep costs down and be price competitive.  Also, this prevents their
clerks from making typos which crash the domain, which then needs additional
customer service and quality employees to deal with.  (It's OK if the customer
screws up when using a web interface, since the customer is wholly responsible
for entering the data.)

On Saturday 29 May 2010 9:29:03 pm Kyle Winfree wrote:
> I've been happy with Go Daddy for a couple years now.  I hosted with
> Host Monster for three years and was happy with their hosting.  I even
> used Yahoo Domains many years ago, and though their services were
> basic, they were very functional.
> Kyle
>
> --
> "May the best of your todays be the worst of your tomorrows."
>
> On May 29, 2010, at 6:00 PM, Lincoln Fessenden <linc@lincgeek.org>
>
> wrote:
> > On 5/29/10 6:52 PM, Casey Bralla wrote:
> >> I've been using Register.com for my domain names, but they are
> >> somewhat pricy.
> >>
> >> It seems to me, a registrar aught to be the simplest thing in the
> >> world to
> >> run.  (Take the customer's money, enter a small bit of data in a
> >> public
> >> database, and then don't mess with it until the registration period
> >> ends!).
> >> So why does it cost $35/year????
> >>
> >>  Anyone have a recommended registrar they like?
> >
> > I have been using namesecure.com for years and years.  Never a problem
> > and they are very inexpensive too.
> >
> > --
> > -Linc Fessenden
> >
> > In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded - Yeah right...

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence
The NerdWorld Organisation

http://www.NerdWorld.org