Richard Freeman on 30 May 2010 04:07:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Domain Registrar Recommendations

On 05/29/2010 06:52 PM, Casey Bralla wrote:
>   Anyone have a recommended registrar they like?

I've been using namecheap for a few years without issue, but I only have
one domain.  They seem to be oriented towards DNS squatters to some
extent (tools for watching domains and grabbing them, parking webpages,
working with domains in bulk, etc), but they seem to work well.

They provide service at pretty-much the minimum rate, and they also
provide free DNS.  While there are some limitations on your DNS records,
I've had no issues with creating a few host records, SPF, etc.  Oh, and
they support dynamic DNS as well, with a fairly resonable TTL.  For free
they'll do web redirects, and mail forwards I think.

They have add-ons like cloaked whois/etc and the usual assortment of
mail/web/etc services.

I've also been using Backup MX from dnsmadeeasy and that has worked
pretty well - it is also pretty cheap.

To be honest, I don't really expect much in the way of service from a
registrar - as you say they're just putting a record in a database.  I'm
not quite sure I know what I'm supposed to be missing by not paying more.

Rich