Mike Sheinberg on 3 Jun 2010 07:21:25 -0700

[PLUG] Clonezilla CentOS LVM boot issues

Hello open-source friends :)

I'm having some issues booting a cloned CentOS x86 server that I moved from a single drive desktop to a RAID 5 server. It seems that everything got transferred over successfully but when I boot I get the following show-stopping error:

Scanning logical volumes
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
Activating logical volumes
Volume group "VTPsystem" not found
Creating root device.�
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
SEtting up other filesystems.
SEttuping up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: no such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults.
setuproot: error mounting /proc�: no such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys : no such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /prov
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: no such file or directory
kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

When I boot to 'systemrescuecd' I'm able to mount and see my LVM file-systems ('VTPsystem') without any issues. And since it is booting the /boot partition from the RAID without issues I figured it wasn't the case that I'm missing any critical drivers. I saw some similar results from google and when I tried to follow one in particular to run mkinitrd I am getting errors when I boot into the CentOS rescue mode that 'partition is unreadable on the disk'. I ignored those and kept booting and it seems my LVM mounts fine on it's own but nothing is visible in the /boot folder. Anyone have any good pointers on where to go from here - anyway I can rebuild the partition table without wiping anything? Remember the end-result is that I'm trying to clone this machine to another machine - if there's an easier way to do this without tracing issues I'm open for suggestions there as well (can't virtualize yet though, I still need to rebuild our virtual XenServer).

Thanks,
Mike