Tom Diehl on 3 Jun 2010 07:29:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Collegeville, PA FiOS now blocking outgoing port 25

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, JP Vossen wrote:

> I *think*...  I did not fully test it, but as of last night/early this
> morning, I was unable to connect to my hosted server on port 25.  The
> server was up and fine, sIMAP & SSH worked fine, and port 25 to that
> server worked from elsewhere (Comcast in NJ, among others).

Yep!! They sent me multiple emails, snail mails and even robocalled me
telling me to use 587 as of June 1. I am in Langhorne. The problem
with all of this is I have a business account and they are NOT blocking
port 25 on my account. I even called tech support and confirmed that
the notices were bogus for me. They apologized for the inconvenience. :-)

> The solution is easy enough, if slightly tedious:
>
> 1) On the server, vi /etc/postfix/master.cf and uncomment the
> "submission" line, then restart postfix.
> 1.1) Make sure 'submission' is defined in /etc/services:
> 	grep '^submission' /etc/services
>
> 2) Change all the client configs to use port 587 in the GUI
> (workstations) or the Nullmailler config (servers), e.g.:
> 	sudo sh -c "echo 'mail.example.com smtp --port=587' \				  >
> /etc/nullmailer/remotes" && cat /etc/nullmailer/remotes
> 	--or--
> 	vi etc/postfix/main.cf  # for internal postfix hub
> 		relayhost = mail.example.com:587
>

> I'm not sure messing with /etc/postfix/master.cf is the *best* solution,
> since that will now collide with future package updates.  It wasn't
> obvious how to do that in main.cf, and this was quick & dirty & worked.
>  OTOH, that's what this says to do too:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Postfix#Using%20Port%20587%20for%20Secure%20Submission

Master.cf is a config file. There is no reason not to configure it to work
in your situation. The master.cf files on my mail servers all differ greatly
from the default config. I will admit I know nothing about ubuntu but if their
packaging messes with master.cf on upgrade that is a packaging bug and should be
reported as such.

Regards,

--
Tom Diehl       tdiehl@rogueind.com      Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com