Amul Shah on 17 Jul 2010 06:47:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How do you backup your home PC's / Laptops?

  • From: Amul Shah <amul@amulz.com>
  • To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] How do you backup your home PC's / Laptops?
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 09:47:22 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=messagingengine.com; h=message-id:from:to:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:mime-version:subject:date:references; s=smtpout; bh=ol4TsqkMCAsAhu7OE/yCGsAmeNo=; b=JwYhF2w6GgsXeHH1Wc7sovsjgou/wAPj7Lwzik2P7dJUMohjg++ZKJK72xCZKdUd2k8wXky8O4Fhgc14Y18j8GL1I/mr28kwwMfE3k/pq2+9dumYhKNo8K5vtZmob8dwyDTyFYR2JTaRaJzjXSjpoJHI6UlKv15r1g8WX0tYDqY=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On a Mac OS X 10.5+ machines, I use TimeMachine which you can trick into using an Ubuntu server as the remote backup. Otherwise an attached external FireWire (USB works but is dog slow) is the way to go. Prior to 10.5, I used CCC (aka Carbon Copy Cloner) which is the equivalent of rsync that makes the backup disk bootable.

How to use TimeMachine with Linux:
http://www.kremalicious.com/2008/06/ubuntu-as-mac-file-server-and-time-machine-volume/

My Linux box does not get backed up! Since anything that needs to be backed up is on my Mac, it doesn't make sense to backup the backup.

HTH,
Amul