JP Vossen on 4 Aug 2010 10:48:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] RedHat - chkconfig question

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 15:59:49 -0400
> From: Doug Stewart

chkconfig is absolutely one of the things I miss most when shackled to
a Debian[-based] system. I still can't seem to fully grok how Debian
handles services...

I used to like 'ntsysv' on Red Hat systems, which is an idiot-proof curses-based on/off console app. 'rcconf' is the closest I've found to that on Debuntu.

So in addition to the 'sudo aptitude install chkconfig' someone else already wisely suggested, 'sudo aptitude install rcconf' might be of interest.

Any Debian/Ubuntu devs care to chime in with the (cough) canonical way to do this kind of thing in .debs or otherwise?

Thanks,
JP