Lee Marzke on 7 Aug 2010 18:23:19 -0700

Re: [PLUG] hosting at home- handling dns

On 08/07/2010 08:03 PM, Edmond Rodriguez wrote:
Didn't he say DSL?  My DSL changes IP addresses.
Dynamic IP's change, so if your site is important you can't rely on the fact that "normally" it only
changes once a year.

I was thinking about getting something like

http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_dns/free_dynamic_dns.html

.... so I  could have a hostname to give to people when and if I try
to remotely support them using a reverse connection VNC

Does anyone else use that?
I find it more reliable to run the client on the router/firewall.
Use the service your router supports ( see below )
I have not figured out yet how I would make my machine report into the
DNS service above.  Is it easy to do?
I use zoneedit.com for managing my static IP's DNS ( about a dozen domains ), but
zoneedit also does dynamic IP,   and are free for the 1st 5 domains.

For instance my router/firewall is Endian ( see my Plug talk) and that has clients for
almost all the dynamic IP accounts included in the appliance.

I had experimented with running a server on my machine here to learn
how to do it.  I had to change firewall settings on my Router, on top
of port mapping to make it work (Filter Internet NAT Redirection).

It's good practice to not put internal stuff ( like your main computer with
shared files )  on the same server as your webserver.   Even better is to
put the webserver in the DMZ on a separate LAN segment.

Of course with virtulization, you can have multiple servers all running on the
same physical box.