JP Vossen on 17 Aug 2010 15:26:43 -0700

[PLUG] X11 server for Windows

Short version: I just found and liked this trivial freeware X11 server for Windows:

* http://www.mochasoft.dk/freeware/x11.htm
    http://www.mochasoft.dk/mx11.exe --> Mocha_XServer-2.0.exe

Long version:

I needed to install Oracle 11G on CentOS the other day. (Have I mentioned that I loath Oracle with a passion?) Among many other problems, the *installer* requires a *GUI*. WTH?!? A GUI does not belong on a server, so why do you require one to install your arcane PoS "server" software?!? Drives me insane.

So I crufted up my VM with "yum groupinstall 'X Window System'" which inflicted another 197 packages with a *download* size of 84M on my server. Then it bitched about lack of RAM, SWAP, and various kernel parameters.

After a whole bunch more pain, I finally got almost to the point I needed to be. Except... I can only connect to the server over the VPN, and the VPN is on my WinXP box only. So 'ssh -X' was problematic.

I googled around for X11 server for Windows and came up with the usual suspects. This one worked out really well. I installed it, and ran it and it Just Worked. (I actually used SecureCRT's version of -X, but there's no reason PuTTY shouldn't work too.)

* http://www.mochasoft.dk/freeware/x11.htm
    http://www.mochasoft.dk/mx11.exe --> Mocha_XServer-2.0.exe

And yes, I know about the Oracle Express RPMs, for various reasons I couldn't use them in this case. I have used them in the past and they sucked a bit less, but still whined a lot about RAM, SWAP, and various kernel parameters. At least no GUI was needed for an 'rpm -Uvh *.rpm'.

Later,
JP