sean finney on 18 Aug 2010 08:06:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Retrieving files from salvaged hard drives

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 07:22:04AM -0700, George Langford wrote:
> Now I can see all my files.  I'm sure it's a permissions problem,
> as "sudo mount /dev/[device] /mnt" keeps the device under root
> control, and I'm just a user.

if there's a permissions problem you can also pass an "owner" on the
mount cmdline, i.e.: mount -o uid=sean,gid=users $device $mountpoint.
i think auto-mounted devices (those that the gnome/hal/udev/whatever
subsystem detects and mounts for desktop users) may get this by default.

> Would "sudo mount /dev/[device] /mnt" have worked if I had created
> a mount point [filename] under /mnt with:
>
> mkdir /mnt/[filename]
>
> sudo mount /dev/[device] /mnt/[filename] ?

as an aside, i think it's a good general practice to avoid subdirectories
under /mnt as local mount points, and instead reserve the top-level /mnt
for quick one-off mounts when testing or fs recovery is needed.

on most of my dual-boot systems i have the ntfs windows partitoin
available as /win or /windows for example, and pluggable devices usually
(automatically, i don't have to do anything for this) show up under
/media/$readable_device_name.

	sean