Art Alexion on 21 Aug 2010 20:10:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] X11 server for Windows

  • From: Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] X11 server for Windows
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 23:10:06 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:received :in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=Mo1aoVozbQ8zpNav0Yhcz88aGJfk6Ht9fEldlU6/HZc=; b=Ts32hISzkMCPPWTBTdgPS0TL+zAUnw+j4WzuhHFVzEnu+2pOitzUV5lTBL4ErK0uvP Fh+g9bmUj9mhE1I3URBkEWB2RDm/T1vHVc2djeRJchtqS2dOxJHQPY6E4yhwu5N/0GSX jTKMGQ6QDBXj54U148tUgwh2x33rLElwzUByY=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

In my experience, Windows greatest vulnerability is its preference for complexity where simplicity would do a better job. I don't think this is a matter of poor engineering so much as the difficult goal of satisfying both users and marketers.

In order to make Windows easier to use and to include some whiz-bang features in its application products, MS creates some intentional security holes.

For example, even though I may not have permissions to a certain directory, an instance of Outlook which I run may have permissions to write to it. Contrast that with Linux aged my processes do not have greater permissions than I have directly.

Add to that, the fact that in order to create some of these backdoors, MS engineers had to create a system that was more complex than otherwise necessary, and complex systems tend to be more vulnerable than simpler systems.

--
Art Alexion