Fred Stluka on 22 Aug 2010 10:26:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Windows security -- Was: X11 server for Windows

Art,

I absolutely agree with you overall, but some comments:

In my experience, Windows greatest vulnerability is its preference for complexity where simplicity would do a better job. I don't think this is a matter of poor engineering so much as the difficult goal of satisfying both users and marketers.

Yes, I prefer to see simple solutions to simple problems, and
ideally even simple solutions to complex problems.  The last
resort is a complex solution to a complex problem.  Too many
Microsoft solutions are complex solutions to simple problems.
This IS poor engineering.

In order to make Windows easier to use and to include some whiz-bang features in its application products, MS creates some intentional security holes.

For example, even though I may not have permissions to a certain directory, an instance of Outlook which I run may have permissions to write to it. Contrast that with Linux aged my processes do not have greater permissions than I have directly.

Good point, but bad example.  It is common practice in Unix/Linux
for you to be able to run a program that has more privileges than
you do directly.  See:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setuid

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- mailto:fred@bristle.com -- http://bristle.com/~fred/
Bristle Software, Inc -- http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!
Open Source: Without walls and fences, we need no Windows or Gates.

Art Alexion wrote:

In my experience, Windows greatest vulnerability is its preference for complexity where simplicity would do a better job. I don't think this is a matter of poor engineering so much as the difficult goal of satisfying both users and marketers.

In order to make Windows easier to use and to include some whiz-bang features in its application products, MS creates some intentional security holes.

For example, even though I may not have permissions to a certain directory, an instance of Outlook which I run may have permissions to write to it. Contrast that with Linux aged my processes do not have greater permissions than I have directly.

Add to that, the fact that in order to create some of these backdoors, MS engineers had to create a system that was more complex than otherwise necessary, and complex systems tend to be more vulnerable than simpler systems.

--
Art Alexion

On Aug 19, 2010 1:24 PM, "Edmond Rodriguez" <erodrig97.list@gmail.com <mailto:erodrig97.list@gmail.com>> wrote: > On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 5:05 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org <mailto:jp@jpsdomain.org>> wrote: