Amul Shah on 27 Aug 2010 10:12:33 -0700

[PLUG] Virtualization question: Is there a performance benefit to running either a 32bit or 64bit Linux guest under virtualization?

  • From: Amul Shah <amul@amulz.com>
  • To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
  • Subject: [PLUG] Virtualization question: Is there a performance benefit to running either a 32bit or 64bit Linux guest under virtualization?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:12:25 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Is there a performance benefit to running either a 32bit or 64bit Ubuntu guest under virtualization?  I know it probably depends upon the implementation of the hyper visor, but I am curious to learn if it makes a difference in guest OS performance.

My itch to scratch is deciding whether or not to run a 32bit or 64bit Linux guest on VMware's desktop (Fusion) virtualization.  The underlying hardware is x86_64 with VT-enabled.

thanks,
Amul