Lee Marzke on 27 Aug 2010 10:33:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Virtualization question: Is there a performance benefit to running either a 32bit or 64bit Linux guest under virtualization?

  • From: Lee Marzke <lee@marzke.net>
  • To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Virtualization question: Is there a performance benefit to running either a 32bit or 64bit Linux guest under virtualization?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:33:38 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 08/27/2010 01:12 PM, Amul Shah wrote:
Is there a performance benefit to running either a 32bit or 64bit Ubuntu guest under virtualization?  I know it probably depends upon the implementation of the hyper visor, but I am curious to learn if it makes a difference in guest OS performance.

My itch to scratch is deciding whether or not to run a 32bit or 64bit Linux guest on VMware's desktop (Fusion) virtualization.  The underlying hardware is x86_64 with VT-enabled.

Assuming your OS is 64 bit, then you have the choice of 32 or 64 bit guests.

I believe the primary factor is that if your guest needs more than ~4GB of RAM you will benefit from running 64 bit guest instead of a PAE enabled kernel. Not much difference
otherwise, and some 32 bit code may be slightly slower.

Lee

thanks,
Amul

"Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion..."  - Kryptos

Lee Marzke,     lee@marzke.net                              http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, Global App Development, Sofware CM, VMware, VSphere, NetApp storage
voice: +1 484-961-0369     +1 800 393 5217                     sip://lee@4aero.com
fax:  +1 484-348-2230

begin:vcard
fn:Lee Marzke