Art Alexion on 27 Aug 2010 12:36:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Virtualization question: Is there a performance benefit to running either a 32bit or 64bit Linux guest under virtualization?

  • From: Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Virtualization question: Is there a performance benefit to running either a 32bit or 64bit Linux guest under virtualization?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:36:25 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:received :in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=hGSlHKRaeFlGCIJF5gK3wT2J5hncNdzDA97qE06qwTk=; b=twlxaWYlXNCYq6dwReq8lkMDJ4/bul7ZTKCGvIbvHkHqvyxr4f25TAgvwn69l3Jfua WFilZLW3f0OyzqDTZNAOfoa5cjHUls2SEOYX0HQu80/jIITob67XnLDaxSJrweWPdYxg ezbfog7khOXeUK8H2xIo6EBGzuIpLlVIb8s9c=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

With virtualbox, I was able to run a 64 bit guest on a 32 bit host.  It was painfully slow as compared to the 32  bit guest. It was not and to see all of the physical RAM anyway as it was limited to using what the host could see.

What does work is using the 32 bit pae kernel.

--
Art Alexion