Richard Freeman on 22 Sep 2010 07:55:36 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Recent VOIP Experience Anyone?

On 09/21/2010 09:14 PM, Doug Crompton wrote:
> Having Asterisk run things is nice and you can do so many things BUT the
> big problem is what happens if something were to happen to you, the
> "maintainer." I worry about that as my wife would not have a clue. So
> either simplifying it or leaving instructions on what to do in that case
> would be a good thing!

I was also looking into Asterisk and CallWithUs and was leaning towards
that approach.  In the end it didn't make sense with the switch to FIOS,
as the basic phone service is practically free (that is, if you drop it
everything else just gets that much more expensive).

As far as long-term planning for uneventful demises goes - I've had that
conversation with my wife (not a topic that comes up often obviously).
Most likely as things break down they'd simply be replaced with more
consumer-oriented products (mythtv, servers, samba domains, etc).
That's just the nature of such things, and others in the family with
some IT-savvy would probably pitch in where they could.  As long as you
don't tear up the copper lines in the house and keep the connection
points simple and near the network access location, the phone company
probably would hook the house back up to conventional service without
much expense.

Rich