Sean Cummins on 23 Sep 2010 07:37:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Virtual Side Topic

  • From: Sean Cummins <sean@scummins.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Virtual Side Topic
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:37:02 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:sender:received :in-reply-to:references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject :from:to:content-type; bh=GvqXboBu+WGdNjVW2NWbJvNX3YAyRTY1W3NmqBnG4sw=; b=Wc7+DyPrGenJZfvRBueCf8Ym9On3OTiLwKQra9gHdPA+NTPDKoDwjrfwkvE7dbmG+N +WrEoRYvzpJOMBqXug7naqoOTtZOMVWCn0FwiN4Xnzq06MK+FCa37kqg5Nww0loBBG/f Shi2cbM0UkkyaT0Pspm95+utAi4MhNiA2Ypjk=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Frankly, I don't see how it complements their business and why they would want it.  Better matches would be VMware buying EMC or vice versa.

EMC actually already owns 80% of VMware; EMC acquired VMware in 2003, then spun VMware off in an IPO in 2007, but still maintains about 80% ownership. EMC partners with VMware (and Cisco) in the VCE coalition, but VMware is still run completely independently -- e.g. despite being 80% owned by EMC, VMware is still free to go to market with competing storage and server/networking vendors.

My personal opinion on the potential VMware acquisition of SUSE though -- I think it would be better for VMware to remain OS/distribution independent. I'd hate to see RHEL customers ditch VMware due to VMware having an affinity for SLES. One of the factors that has helped VMware gain the market share it enjoys today has been vendor neutrality.

- Sean