Randall A Sindlinger on 13 Oct 2010 15:02:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] networking question

Eric,

I believe you want to use /sbin/netconfig.

It looks like that will modify /etc/sysconfig/network/config.

`man netconfig` and `less /etc/sysconfig/network/config` will
give you lots of extra info.

In the end, though, the file you really care about is
/etc/resolv.conf for dns.  It should look something akin to

 # cat /etc/resolv.conf
 domain seas.upenn.edu
 options timeout:1
 nameserver 128.91.2.13
 nameserver 128.91.254.1
 nameserver 158.130.66.194
 search seas.upenn.edu upenn.edu

We're using our own scripts to generate the appropriate entries in
/etc/resolv.conf, hence my uncertainty about 'netconfig'.  Netconfig
will detect manual edits to /etc/resolv.conf, and tell you that it's
not automatically updating the file, but instead saving its output
to /etc/resolv.conf.netconfig.

Glad to help,
-Randall

--