Kevin McAllister on 14 Oct 2010 06:22:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Basic (CentOS) Linux SysAdmin book(s)?

On Oct 14, 2010, at 2:41 AM, JP Vossen wrote:

> I will have some off-site training time with him (max of 1 day), and I can recommend some books to read.  Aside from the fact that we know that 1 day is not even enough to scratch the surface, any thoughts on training?

The best crash course in linux admin would be for you to secretly replace his workstation with a linux install, oh, and don't install a gui.  Maybe that can't happen, but he probably should have a lab machine or VM installed somewhere to try things before he buys them in a production system.  If for some reason he can't get a VM, he could always get an EC2 or rackspace cloud instance he can launch on demand and maybe the company would cover the expense, since if he's smart about his usage he can keep it within $100 a month pretty easy.

Also the RHEL docs available from the site, (easier to find through the CentOS site) are pretty useful.

- Kevin