Gavin W. Burris on 14 Oct 2010 07:17:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Basic (CentOS) Linux SysAdmin book(s)?

CentOS is de-branded Red Hat, so install the latest CentOS on a spare
laptop/desktop/VM, and go straight to the source.  The Red Hat
Enterprise Linux Deployment Guide is required reading for all system admins:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.4/html/Deployment_Guide/index.html

There are downloadable PDFs as well:
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/manuals/enterprise/

Cheers.

On 10/14/2010 02:41 AM, JP Vossen wrote:
> I need to do some training and provide some recommendations for books
> for a guy at work.  He has no Linux or Unix background, and no SysAdmin
> background of any kind (not even Windows), but he has been thrust into a
> role that requires some.  He is diving in and and Googling for answers
> but sooner or later he's going to hit an 'rm -rf /' kind of answer. He's
> already picked up basic navigation and a few simple things like grep.
>
> I will have some off-site training time with him (max of 1 day), and I
> can recommend some books to read.  Aside from the fact that we know that
> 1 day is not even enough to scratch the surface, any thoughts on training?
>
> And perhaps more importantly, what are the good books?  I liked _Running
> Linux_ but that was in the 90's some time.  I love _Essential System
> Admin_ but that's too general.  I also like _Linux Cookbook_ and _Linux
> Networking Cookbook_ and will recommend them.  What is good now for
> CentOS 5?
>
> Thanks!
> JP
> ----------------------------|:::======|-------------------------------
> JP Vossen, CISSP            |:::======|      http://bashcookbook.com/
> My Account, My Opinions     |=========|      http://www.jpsdomain.org/
> "Microsoft Tax" = the additional hardware & yearly fees for the add-on
> software required to protect Windows from its own poorly designed and
> implemented self, while the overhead incidentally flattens Moore's Law.

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Systems Programmer
Information Security and Unix Systems
School of Arts and Sciences