Matt Mossholder on 8 Nov 2010 04:18:09 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux Today Posting: Google Sues The US Government For Only Considering Microsoft Solutions

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 6:08 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
Is Zimbra the server totally distinct from Zimbra the PIM client?

I tested the latter and saw no reason to continue using it. ÂI had
been using evolution for accessing an exchange 2003 server and it was
fantastic at implementing almost all of the features through the OWA
protocols. ÂWhen my employer switched to exchange 2007, evolution fell
apart. ÂSo I tried using the Zimbra client. ÂThe code may be open
source, but the client was Yahoo-branded with prominent UI reminders.
It didn't give me a reason to prefer it over Outlook via Firefox.

--
artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface

The Zimbra client is actually just a slimed down version of the server running on each client. It's webmail running in a mozilla prism instance. The differences between the "client" and running the webmail interface are minimal.

I ran both for while. The Yahoo! branding is part of the theme, and removable. The key thing to keep in mind is that the server is accessible using any client, not just the Zimbra one. As others have pointed out, all the access protocols are open, so you can get at the data using just about anything. If you are using Zimbra to try and replace the Outlook client, you're probably going to be disappointed.

With regards to using Evolution to get to Exchange 2007, that should work again, as long as you don't need Outlook Anywhere (MAPI over HTTP) access. The evolution plugin is called evolution-mapi and is included in the newer distros.

ÂÂ Â --Matt