Conor Schaefer on 10 Nov 2010 12:09:28 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The evils of closed source

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 2:40 PM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
With much trepidation, I attempted to navigate to adobe dot com.
I am still smarting over the last time our resident Mac fanboi asked me to order him something there.

I use IE, as one is simply not *allowed* to access the site with any other browser.

The site crashed my entire Win 7 64bit virtual machine. ÂIt rendered it bereft of life, like a parrot.

Figuring that a web site could not possibly have done that, I tried it again. ÂAnd it froze the vm again.

It was only recently that I discovered that even Macboi can't order anything from that site.

The combined evil from even attempting to visit adobe from IE cannot simply be showered off (no matter HOW many showers you take). ÂI have to talk to H/R about workman's comp now.

I see others have replied already, but I, too, am very skeptical of this anecdote. I am at work on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine right now, and I had no trouble whatsoever navigating around on adobe.com. This was in Firefox 3.6.10 (yes, there's a newer version available), and I am not using NoScript.

The problem may be caused by a poorly configured virtual machine, but I am certain it is not necessary to use IE to access Adobe's website.