Richard Freeman on 10 Nov 2010 12:01:07 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux Groupware & collaboration (links)

On 11/10/2010 01:22 PM, Sean M. Collins wrote:
> On 11/10/10 2:37 AM, JP Vossen wrote:
>> Related, here are some of the links I have on this topic.  Note there is
>> something I call "pretend open source" which has been touched on. To me,
>> that's anything that claims to be open source, but either isn't really,
>> or doesn't "feel" like it is.
>
> Something about "pretend open source" rubs me the wrong way. Reminds me
> why the F/OSS community sometimes bickers amongst themselves about who
> has a more 'free' license, while a proprietary company rakes in the dough.

When this happens I tend to just stick to the facts.

Zimbra Enterprise absolutely is not open source.  Zimbra Appliance
absolutely is not open source.  Zimbra Desktop absolutely is not open
source.  Zimbra Open Source Edition shares some code with those previous
projects, and is generally open source but with a non-OSI-approved
license.  It requires a non-OS/FOSS scm to access the source, and has a
lousy build system.

The problem is that people like open source for different reasons.  So,
there will always be conflict over whether something is "open" enough
since everybody has different definitions of "enough."

Rich