Eric at Lucii.org on 6 Dec 2010 10:15:45 -0800

Re: [PLUG] mailbox and samba (CIFS)

On 12/06/2010 11:53 AM, Matt Mossholder wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Eric at Lucii.org <eric@lucii.org
> <mailto:eric@lucii.org>> wrote:

>     I use Thunderbird 3.0.10  running on Ubuntu Lucid.
>
>     My main account is IMAP from my in-house server.
>     My local folders are to a SAMBA share on the same server.
>
> <snip>
>

>     2. What is a good - no, GREAT email program that uses the mbox format?
>     Evolution?  Kmail?  Something new?
>
>     Eric
>

> I think what you are talking about is called maildir format. mbox is the
> "all in one file per folder" storage method.

Yes! That's it.  It was soooo many years ago (four).

> Also, silly question... if you are using IMAP, and all the messages are
> stored on the server, why do you care what format your local email cache
> is stored in?  Wouldn't it make more sense to care what the IMAP server
> is using? You could use something like Courier, which uses maildir format.

I don't care that much - just that if the cifsffc8 file indicated a problem with
Thunderbird then I'd think of moving to another program and maildir would be a
desirable feature.

> Maybe if you told us what you really need from a email program, we could
> be of more help... What features are important to you? How many messages
> are you storing? How many folders?

All good questions.  I'll have to think about this some more.  Switching mail
programs is typically not easy.

> Oh, and the last thing... the cifsXXXX files, if cifs is anything like
> nfs, are files that are open in one process, but have been deleted by
> another. The file sometimes gets left behind when the system is powered
> off, or some other catastrophic error occurs.

Figured it out.  It's a folder that I moved a few days ago to a different
directory.  It moved it just fine but left a nearly identical copy called
cifsffc8 behind.

Thanks.

- --
#  Eric Lucas