Drew Lehman on 6 Dec 2010 13:44:07 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Net Neutrality

Actually all cable companies had a start from government funding.  In
the earlier days local municipalities chose what cable provider could
provide its services in that area.  Cable runs were often funded with
local tax-payer money with the understanding that the cable company
would pay a percentage of the subscriber fees back to the local
government.  Cable companies are a monopoly in that you cannot install
and run another cable-based technology through the area.
While it is true that there are now more choices for various services
the cable companies became common providers once they started offering
voice and data.  Allowing companies like comcast to insert, degrade or
change data on "their" network would lead to things like commercials
being inserted into phone calls, and non-company services being
downgraded or dropped.
  Since data that Comcast does not "own" passes over their network,
being the way the Internet works, they would be able to affect people
that do not have their service.  In essence the lack of common carrier
designation would allow these companies to ransom data and services,
even for non-subscribers.