Mag Gam on 6 Dec 2010 15:56:56 -0800

Re: [PLUG] recompiling a kernel for performance

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Yes, I did look for a turbo button and apparently one does exist!  HP
has a secret BIOS which lets you disable powersaving modes and
apparently it makes things faster. :-)

Yes, I meant 2.6.36

The programs are mostly CPU intensive. However , I/O is always a
factor so I am planning to implement a distributed files system  such
as Hadoop.  Regarding jumboframes, do I have to make the switch on the
client side or switch side ?

Austin,
READ-COMPUTE-WRITE is absolute correct for my case however the CPU is
always at 100%. I am assuming I am still CPU bound because, I read
about 90% of data and compute and then generate a result.

Eric,
Regarding, 'Do your cluster tools allow you to measure the performance
of specific nodes? ', this is a very good question. Yes, I am using
lapack provided by Intel but the problem is I am not sure what to look
for. Ideally, I want something like this... if I have a  processor, P
which can do X floating point operations in T,time...I run the program
and it should be very close to the manufacture specs. Then I know the
processor is at optimal state. I am not sure if anything like that
exists....please guide me if one does.

p.s 50 node cluster is our test cluster. We have a much larger one for
production :-)