Lee Marzke on 8 Dec 2010 18:51:32 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Philly Colo

I'm looking for a way to run VM guest servers either locally to keep costs way down or in a colo
if I'm traveling for a long distance contract job.

In my case I run VMware ESX on the host and hosting shops currently want over
$100/guest/month to run each VMware instance. ( not per host ! )

I'm not looking to re-host these guests on another platform, I simply want to
run VMware guests at a reasonable price if I have to travel,  and want some
'hands' available for emergencies.

Yes, if I re-hosted the guests onto Ubuntu Cloud, (Eucalyptus) I would also have to move the Hypervisor from ESX to Xen/KVM. Then I guess I could run instances locally, or push them up to Amazon, but that is too much work at this time.

However as I recall,  hosting Ubuntu Cloud requires a lot of hardware, cloud
controller,  storage controller,  etc.

Lee