Casey Bralla on 11 Dec 2010 06:56:51 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Comcast Cable modem & DHCP

On Saturday 11 December 2010 9:46:01 am Julien Vehent wrote:
> I get an IP on the 68.0.0.0/22, and you seem to be on a private
> 10.1.10.0/24 network, so I assume you commercial account works differently.
>
> However, since 10.0.0.0/8 is class A private network, non routable on
> the internet, I'm wondering: what is your public ip address here ?

My public IP is 71.224.6.96, which is assigned by comcast to the modem via
dhcp.  The modem in turn then does NAT to a private subnet 10.1.10.x which I
connect to my Debian firewall box.  I then re-NAT this to 2 different private
subnets (192.168.2.x to my DMZ and 192.168.1.x to my internal network).

BTW, I did not buy a "static" IP form comcast, but I find the DHCP IP is
essentially static (years!) as long as you don't change the MAC of the
firewall.

--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence