Julien Vehent on 11 Dec 2010 07:03:07 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Comcast Cable modem & DHCP

On 12/11/2010 09:56 AM, Casey Bralla wrote:
On Saturday 11 December 2010 9:46:01 am Julien Vehent wrote:
I get an IP on the 68.0.0.0/22, and you seem to be on a private
10.1.10.0/24 network, so I assume you commercial account works differently.

However, since 10.0.0.0/8 is class A private network, non routable on
the internet, I'm wondering: what is your public ip address here ?

My public IP is 71.224.6.96, which is assigned by comcast to the modem via
dhcp.  The modem in turn then does NAT to a private subnet 10.1.10.x which I
connect to my Debian firewall box.  I then re-NAT this to 2 different private
subnets (192.168.2.x to my DMZ and 192.168.1.x to my internal network).

So your modem is a router. That's not my case, the modem acts as a bridge and the network card of the router behind (my linux box) receives the DHCP lease.

BTW, I did not buy a "static" IP form comcast, but I find the DHCP IP is
essentially static (years!) as long as you don't change the MAC of the
firewall.

That's interesting, I'll monitor the leases to see if the IP changes over the next few weeks.

Or do you double NAT you packets ? Once on your linux box and then on
the comcast router again ?