John Kreno on 11 Dec 2010 11:04:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Comcast Cable modem & DHCP

Yeah, The modem usually will only learn one mac. In order to switch
the gear out you have to power cycle that unit to flush the mac table
so to speak. I think that it's done to limit the amount of units
requesting DHCP off of one CM.

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Carl Johnson
<cjohnson19791979@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've never needed to wait that long.
>

> Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000x.
>
> "Robert Spangler" <mlists@zoominternet.net> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday 11 December 2010 09:51, Julien Vehent wrote:
>>
>>>  The linksys was bought independently from comcast, and comcast
>>should
>>>  not be aware of its MAC, that's why I was puzzled by the DHCP
>>>  restriction. Turns out it was only a matter of restarting the modem.
>>
>>The Comcast modem is only a bridge to the Comcast network.  They are
>>aware of
>>what is connected to their device and it will cache the mac address of
>>the
>>device that is connected to it.  When you change the connected device
>>you
>>need to do the following to flush the mac address.
>>
>>Power down the modem and then un-plug it for a minimum of 5 minutes.
>>This
>>normally flushes the know mac address.  If it doesn't then you have to
>>wash-rinse-repeat again.
>>

>>--
>>
>>Regards
>>Robert
>>
>>Linux
>>The adventure of a life time.
>>
>>Linux User #296285
>>Get Counted
>>http://counter.li.org/

John Kreno

"Those who would sacrifice essential liberties for a little temporary