Douglas Muth on 5 Jan 2011 06:05:40 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux n00b question

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Steve Slaughter
<steve2slaughter@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, folks.
>
> I'm building a new PC and plan to install Ubuntu 10.10 ONLY on this
> machine.  I do not want Windows on any partitions.  OK, I might run Windows
> 7 in Virtual Box for games, but I don't plan on wasting a lot of time with
> that until I find a joystick replacement for keyboard/mouse control.
>
> To save money, I only bought a 1 TB HDD.
>
> What, in your opinion, is the best way to partition this drive?
>
> Should I just select the parameters Ubuntu will set during the installation
> process, or do some extra-special manual partitioning?

If you're looking to learn Linux, I would recommend just going with
the defaults and not sweating the details for now.  With a hard drive
that size, you're not going to fill up any single partition unless
you're working for The Pirate Bay. ;-)

I've been using Linux for many years, and what I just do now is put /
under 1 partition and swap under another.  It's a simple setup, and
I've not run into any problems from doing so yet.

-- Doug