Conor Schaefer on 5 Jan 2011 06:30:19 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux n00b question

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Steve Slaughter <steve2slaughter@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey, folks.

I'm building a new PC and plan to install Ubuntu 10.10 ONLY on this machine. I do not want Windows on any partitions. OK, I might run Windows 7 in Virtual Box for games, but I don't plan on wasting a lot of time with that until I find a joystick replacement for keyboard/mouse control.

Well, you might be disappointed here. Game performance under virtualization will suffer badly, because you won't have hardware acceleration in a VM. I think VB is working on an experimental version of hardware acceleration, but if you're gaming at all in Linux, WINE is probably what you want.
To save money, I only bought a 1 TB HDD.Â

What, in your opinion, is the best way to partition this drive?

There's a fairly standard practice for putting /home on its own partition, in addition to swap space. It's possible to use a swapfile in place of a dedicated partition, but you have the space, so I'd recommend using it. So that'd be three partitions for your one-OS install. The default Ubuntu installer will try to put / on one partition, and swap on another. Putting /home on its own would greatly aid in reinstallation, in case you run into any problems down the road. (Tinker, break, learn!)
Should I just select the parameters Ubuntu will set during the installation process, or do some extra-special manual partitioning?

Should be pretty straightforward, with the installer in 10.10. You'll have a GUI interface to create partitions you like, as long as you choose "Choose partitions manually" or some such option. Otherwise it'll move forward with one partition for swap and one for everything else.
Yes, I'm a n00b :-)

We're all n00bs in some sense or another. ;)
Thanks for your help!
Steve