Art Alexion on 8 Jan 2011 09:28:05 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux n00b question

On Jan 8, 2011, at 9:09 AM, Doug Stewart <zamoose@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
On my netbook with one 8, and one 32 GB drive, I put Ubuntu / on the 8 GB drive and /home on the 32. I haven't encountered any problems with the 8 filling up. With a TB, you could probably go with 20 for /. I use 2X physical ram as a rule of thumb for /swap.

The 2x memory anachronism ought to die. It's archaic and no longer
true and in today's larger memory systems, it's a waste of space.
(See, e.g., http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-swap-space.html)

Rule of thumb: for < 2 GB RAM, swap = RAM size. 4 - 16 GB RAM, swap =
4 GB. 16 - 64 GB RAM, swap = 8 GB. 64 - 256 GB RAM, swap = 16 GB.

I just read the article you cited and noticed this paragraph:

A note about Desktop and Laptop

If you are going to suspend to disk, then you need swap space more than actual RAM. For example, my laptop has 1GB RAM and swap is setup to 2GB. This only applies to Laptop or desktop but not to servers.

The rest of the article seems to apply to servers. I'm not sure I'd ever want a server swapping if I could avoid it.

Another part of the article which I found interesting was the Red Hat recommendation. That is, the lower the ram, the greater the swap recommended. Makes obvious sense.

I set up my 4 GB desktop with 8 GB, frankly because that's what I have always done. The article and the free command mentioned by Eric are enlightening. I probably won't allocate that much space again, but my low ram (by modern standards) is another story.

--
Art Alexion