Eric at Lucii.org on 8 Jan 2011 10:51:20 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux n00b question

On 01/08/2011 12:29 PM, Art Alexion wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2011, at 9:09 AM, Doug Stewart <zamoose@gmail.com
> <mailto:zamoose@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com
>> <mailto:art.alexion@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>> On my netbook with one 8, and one 32 GB drive, I put Ubuntu / on the 8 GB
>>> drive and /home on the 32. I haven't encountered any problems with the 8
>>> filling up. With a TB, you could probably go with 20 for /. I use 2X physical
>>> ram as a rule of thumb for /swap.
>>>

>> The 2x memory anachronism ought to die. It's archaic and no longer
>> true and in today's larger memory systems, it's a waste of space.
>> (See, e.g., http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-swap-space.html)
>>
>> Rule of thumb: for < 2 GB RAM, swap = RAM size. 4 - 16 GB RAM, swap =
>> 4 GB. 16 - 64 GB RAM, swap = 8 GB. 64 - 256 GB RAM, swap = 16 GB.
>>

> I just read the article you cited and noticed this paragraph:
>

>         A note about Desktop and Laptop
>
> If you are going to suspend to disk
> <http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-suspend-hibernate-functionality-support/>,
> then you need swap space more than actual RAM. For example, my laptop has 1GB
> RAM and swap is setup to 2GB. This only applies to Laptop or desktop but not to
> servers.
>
> The rest of the article seems to apply to servers. I'm not sure I'd ever want a
> server swapping if I could avoid it.
>
> Another part of the article which I found interesting was the Red Hat
> recommendation. That is, the lower the ram, the greater the swap recommended.
> Makes obvious sense.
>
> I set up my 4 GB desktop with 8 GB, frankly because that's what I have always
> done. The article and the free command mentioned by Eric are enlightening. I
> probably won't allocate that much space again, but my low ram (by modern
> standards) is another story.
>

> --
> Art Alexion

This is good information to know.  I inadvertently got this right when I
recently set up my Ubuntu laptop and selected 4 Gig of swap for 2 Gig of RAM.  I
close the lid and it goes right to sleep with nary a complaint.  Even with a
VirtualBox VM running.

This was also mentioned at the Central meeting in our wide-ranging swap talk.

Eric

- --
#  Eric Lucas
#