Lee Marzke on 14 Jan 2011 14:44:13 -0800

Re: [PLUG] LDAP addressbooks (Long)

Anyone ?

What do people use for their addressbooks that work on more than a single computer ?

Lee

On 01/08/2011 10:08 AM, Lee Marzke wrote:
I'm looking for ideas on addressbooks that work across multiple devices. I've been using Google Voice since I picked up an Android phone, but not really happy with how that is working. I only use Google Addressbook now, not Google email, or voice.

My environment is:

- Ubuntu Lucid 64bit Laptop,   with Thunberbird as email client.
- Remote hosted IMAP server with IMP Webmail
- Android phone

- Test instance of OpenLDAP,  with InetOrgPerson schema default
- Test instance of 389 Directory Server

I really like the idea of using LDAP, and have setup OpenLDAP in the past, but now that
I am looking at LDAP again I find multiple areas that are frustrating.

- Thunderbird can't write to LDAP, only read. I'm partially open to other IMAP clients.

- Evolution can write, but doesn't use the same LDAP fields/schema as other products. In many cases simple things like zip codes are scrambled. Seems that multiple LDAP fields are being concatenated into one field because of the schema issues ?

- InetOrgPerson schema is provided in OpenLDAP is close to what I need, if only a
   group of tools would use it.  Evolution wants EvolutionPerson ?

- OpenLDAP won't load 'schema' files anymore, they need to be in .ldif format ?

- OpenLDAP's config file is not used anymore, it is configured by another LDAP instance. This seems to be a complete mess, as most documentation refers to slapd.conf

- I've also setup 389 Directory server, but this seem to add a bunch of complexity
    with no real benefit.

I'm quite happy with my current IMAP hosting setup and not really looking for an
integrated product like Zimbra.

Any suggestions or ideas ? Can OpenLDAP still be run with the old 'slapd.conf' file instead of the current setup ? Is there a common schema that works - and can also be synced
in some format to Android ?

--
"Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion..."  - Kryptos

Lee Marzke,     lee@marzke.net                              http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, Global App Development, Software CM, VMware, VSphere, NetApp storage
voice: +1 484-961-0369     +1 800 393 5217                     sip://lee@4aero.com
fax:  +1 484-348-2230

begin:vcard
fn:Lee Marzke