John Karr on 29 May 2011 15:16:03 -0700

Re: [PLUG] VPN

Depending on what you need to accomplish using ssh tunneling might be a lot easier.

For example my home webmail server answers on port 8443. That port is blocked outbound at work, as are 3389 (rdp) and 5900 (vnc).

When I want to check email from work I ssh to one of my Linux servers, with a command like:
ssh -f user@personal-server.com -L 2000:personal-server.com:8443 -N

The -f tells ssh to go into the background just before it executes the command. This is followed by the username and server you are logging into. The -L 2000:personal-server.com:8443 is in the form of -L local-port:host:remote-port. Finally the -N instructs OpenSSH to not execute a command on the remote system.

Then I point a browser to https://localhost:8443/webmail. If I need to remote control a computer at home I change the ports appropriately and use the appropriate client software.

At my last job the only outbound ports allowed were 80 and 443, while I was there I had to have ssh listen on one of those ports, but it worked fine (other than losing normal use of the port).

From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org [mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Slaughter
Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:50 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] VPN

I'm in a Linux Noob and interested in securing my internet traffic with a VPN.

I tried to install OpenVPN, but, correct me if I'm wrong, it appears that I need to configure a separate physical server machine with the software, in addition to the client, which would be my Linux box in this case.

Is there any way to configure one machine as both server and client?

Is it possible to host a virtual machine as the OpenVPN server with Virtual box while running the client software on the same physical machine?

Do any of you know of an alternative VPN solution I can use which does not require hosting a server?

Thank you!
Stephen

--
"We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that needs to be done."
- Alan Turing