Gavin W. Burris on 30 Jun 2011 10:53:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Media Frontend Hardware

On 06/30/2011 10:09 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> ...  I most likely
> wouldn't start a display manager at all - I'd just launch X and the
> application.  Who needs window managers for a media PC?

This is true, but I have changed my philosophy from
custom-build-from-scratch to default-as-possible.  Things break less
often that way, and when they do break, you benefit from everyone else
hitting the same problem.  I am able to be up an running by doing a
default livecd (actually usb) install of Fedora 15 x86_64, yum
install'ing a handful of packages, and adding a few lines to the gdm config.

It pains me to think you are building a new htpc and hooking it up to
and SD display.  :)  Let me know how your new setup turns out.

Cheers,
--
Gavin W. Burris
Senior Systems Programmer