Rich Freeman on 29 Jun 2011 14:11:00 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Media Frontend Hardware

On Jun 29, 2011 4:37 PM, "Gavin W. Burris" <bug@sas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Since my Shuttle PC motherboard failed after only one year of use, I
> just upgraded to an Asus Eee Box.  It has an Intel Atom D510 and NVIDIA
> ION.

I'm seriously considering atom+ion solutions. Only issue I see would be HD WebM/Theora which could strain the cpu.  How does yours do with non-mpeg codecs?

> I would suggest upgrading to a budget flat panel with a VGA connection.
>  You can also configure Linux to use HDMI, since HDMI is a smaller
> connector for DVI with audio added in.

Yeah, I'm thinking about this as well. Either a cheap HD set, or a vga-TV adapter for my SD CRT.

Rich