Robert Spangler on 21 Aug 2011 07:55:18 -0700

Re: [PLUG] lightning strike - dead computer

On Sunday 21 August 2011 09:51, the following was written:

>  The computer won't start - no lights at all on the tower and no response
> to the power-on switch.

If there is no fan running from the PSU then it is most likely the PSU but the
MB could also be fried.  I had this happen to me and lost PSU, MB and
graphics card 2 yrs ago.

>  Should I try to talk her through replacing the power supply or is there
> enough probability of a toasted motherboard to just recommend that she go
> to <local computer store> and replace the entire thing?

Is there a Best Buy in the area?  Have them go there they should be able to
test everything and note what needs to be replaced.  even the computer store
should be able to do the same thing.  The question is can you trust whom ever
is doing the testing to not try and pull a fast one and say the entire system
needs to be replace when it is only the PSU or MB?

--

Regards
Robert

Linux