Eric H. Johnson on 24 Aug 2011 10:32:06 -0700

[PLUG] Samba share

Hi all,

I am trying to setup a Samba share between a folder on a windows computer
and a virtualbox session on that same computer running Ubuntu 11.04. On
windows I shared the folder "Download" with read and write permissions. On
ubuntu I select connect to server, select share type as windows, path as
"192.168.1.46/Download" and the appropriate user name, domain, and when
prompted password.

When it tries to connect it generates the error:

"You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "download
on 192.168.1.46"."

The Samba log similarly shows:

"Unable to connect to CUPS server localhost:631 - Connection refused"

I have tried connecting by both IP address and machine name, both of which
ping properly, but get the same error.

I do not see any other permissions to set on the windows side and do not
understand the error if it is referring to the Linux side. I can connect to
this share just fine from another Windows computer. The firewall is turned
off on the windows side and outgoing traffic should not be blocked on the
Linux side.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric