David B. van Balen on 27 Aug 2011 10:14:08 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Debian unstable locking up and corrupting filesystem

Thanks for this, the system rescue cd was very useful. At the very least, I've been able to backup the latest data in my home directory, which was my biggest worry.

I'm not sure if the computer will successfully restart, but I'm starting to think I need a new hard drive... or maybe a new computer. It's about 5-6 years old, which is 2-3 years less than I kept my last computer, but then the last one wasn't failing.

I'm a little weary of purchasing again from Compaq/HP, for obvious reasons, along with the fact that I had to wait a year after buying this one before a SATA driver for this disk (the one that's now failing) showed up in the Linux kernel. I'm also not necessarily sold on another Dell, like my previous one, although I'm also not against it. Does anyone have recommendations for a good, Linux friendly company I can purchase a desktop computer from? Also, any thoughts on AMD vs. Intel? I currently have a 64bit AMD, but am thinking of going multi-core 32 bit for my next computer.

Anyway, back to the original topic, it looks like it's my boot partition with the issues. I was able to successfully run e2fsck on my data partition (where my home directory is) and backup my data. However, running it on my boot partition resulted in:

root@sysresccd /root % e2fsck -f -c -k -C 0 -p -v /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1: recovering journal
Error reading block 24432 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read).

/dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY.
     (i.e., without -a or -p options)

Re-running without -p had me first ignore the error and then force a rewrite. After that there were various things:

- orphaned inodes (normal after a non-clean shutdown)
- another short read, this time for block 512046
- a couple multiply claimed blocks shared with 1 file, so I told it to clone the multiply-claimed blocks (I assume that could have good or bad consequences, depending on the details of the situation).
- The free blocks count was wrong for group #1 (93, counted=91) and group #15 (8894, counted=8896), both of which I told it to fix.