LeRoy on 21 Aug 2011 08:57:01 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Debian unstable locking up and corrupting filesystem

On 08/21/2011 09:02 AM, Casey Bralla wrote:

> On Saturday 20 August 2011 2:34:03 PM David B. van Balen wrote:
>> I've been having a recurring problem the past few weeks where my system will
>> suddenly lock up. If this happens while I'm at the computer, I'll be able
>> to move the mouse pointer around, but none of the apps will respond. If it
>> happens when I'm not around, I'll come back to a blank screen and the
>> computer won't respond at all. In all cases, there's nothing to do other
>> than a hard reboot, after which ext3 says it can't replay the journal and
>> I'll have various filesystem issues until I run an fsck. It happened again
>> yesterday, and now the system won't boot.After the grub menu, I get a bunch
>> of stuff like:
>>
>> [   13.720864] ata1.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
>> [   13.720905] ata1.00: error: {UNC }
>> [   13.744497] end_request: I/O error, dev sda, secdtor 195523
>>
>> followed by messages about not being able to mount /dev, /sys and /proc
>> because there's "No such file or directory" and I'll get dumped at a BusyBox
>> prompt (when I type "help" I don't see an option to run fsck, so I'll have
>> to see if I can figure out another way to run it).

I would suggest that you boot using a System Rescue Cd
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page and do a e2fsck with -c which is a
bad blocks check on your Linux partitions.

If you are using ext3 try this:

e2fsck -f -c -k -C 0 -p -v /dev/sda?

This assumes that you are not using an external journal or bad blocks file.

Doing the bad blocks check will take some time depending on the
partition size, but I feel that you might want to do it.

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
		       Cell:   267-307-3527

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/