Julien Vehent on 1 Sep 2011 19:54:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] In-house Launchpad or other?

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 22:24:13 -0400, JP Vossen wrote:
I'm thinking about trying to convince $WORK to start using some kind
of "project hosting server" in-house (no way will outsourcing be
possible).  I looked at Launchpad, but it a) looks like a beast to
install and maintain and b) only runs on Ubuntu (we're mostly
RHEL/CentOS).

Has anyone done this? What'd you use? How'd it work out? Hints or clues?

We use TRAC http://trac.edgewall.org/
It's python, with a wrapper for SVN (and git in dev state), ticketing and wiki systems built in.

I wouldn't say it's the best product I've ever used, the ergonomy is sometimes clunky, but considering the difficult problems it's trying to solve, it does a pretty good job at it.

The wiki is kind of living on its own, but the real benefit of this system is to integrate the ticketing with the releases. So for each release (in our case, branches in SVN), you have a set of tickets, and you can follow the completion of a release by the number of tickets open/close.

If you have a large number of project, you might have to create as many TRAC repository as project.

Julien