Rich Freeman on 7 Sep 2011 04:29:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] MythTV & HDHomeRun & Comcast Digital for Pottstown/Collegeville

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 4:40 AM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 07:29:20 -0400
From: Matt Mossholder<matt@mossholder.com>
is required to rebroadcast the local stations.   The stations like 12_3 and
12_7 are different program streams for a channel... basically, WHYY is now
broadcasting 3 different programming channels multiplexed into channel "12"
now, which isn't even really channel 12 anymore.  One program stream might
be showing "This Old House" while another is showing "Sesame Street" and
another is showing "NOVA".

So how do I get scheduling info for the streams?  You're going to say "you don't" aren't you?

I get that data from SchedulesDirect.  I forget if I get it from the FIOS listings, or if it is somehow getting them from OTA listings which my system is probably still downloading even though I switched from OTA to QAM.

Oh, a less-known new feature in Myth is the ability to record several of those multiplexed channels at the same time.  You have to turn this on, but if you do then it can use a single tuner to record 12.1, 12.2, and so on.  Myth just runs the tuner in what amounts to an analogue of promiscuous mode on a LAN and then demultiplexes the streams in software.  I have this enabled, but I doubt I've ever used it.

About the only thing I've ever recorded off the alternate streams has been the weather - which is broadcast 24x7 on one of the major network's alternate streams.  That actually can be useful - just set a manual record for 30 minutes before you get up in the morning and you have on-demand weather if you prefer not to just use a browser.

Rich