Ryan T. Sawyer on 2 Oct 2011 11:37:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] saw this on /. this morning.

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Paul Jungwirth <once@9stmaryrd.com> wrote:
> In general, I think with bash it's easier to write functions rather
> than aliases. If you create a file with your functions for
> command-line shortcuts, you can source it in your .bash_profile. (Or
> just define the functions in .bash_profile itself.) If you create a
> function named lsr, you can use $1, and you can call it just like
> using an alias.

This works great, thanks!

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 11:51 PM, Eric at Lucii.org <eric@lucii.org> wrote:
> If I were to run it in my home directory [almost 300 Gigabytes] it would be a long time before I got an answer.  Your mileage may vary.
>
> Here's what I use in this case:
>
> locate string | sort

I did not know about "locate" - I have a minimal SSD as my main disk
so ls -R is pretty instant but I could see how the results would
change if I were looking for a song on my external or something.
"locate" is easy to remember too! Thanks