K.S. Bhaskar on 12 Oct 2011 12:41:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [plug-announce] Tuesday, Oct 11, 2011 - Introducing Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot" presented by Elizabeth Krumbach (PLUG North@CoreDial in Blue Bell)

I have been running 11.10 and it is very stable.  My favorite new
feature is that the Ubuntu kernel is at last compiled to include
support for transparent huge pages.  My laptop has definitely been
perkier since I  modified /etc/default/grub to add this to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT:

kbhaskar@bhaskarks:~$ diff /etc/default/grub{~,}
11c11
< GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
---
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash transparent_hugepage=always"
kbhaskar@bhaskarks:~$

Then I ran update-grub and rebooted.

The other thing that 11.10 did is to make me appreciate KDE. I won't
say that the Ubuntu shell is unfit for human consumption, but I will
say that perhaps this dog is too old to learn new tricks and
appreciate all that it does for me.  Transparent huge pages
subjectively feels as if it more than makes up for the additional
ponderousness that KDE has over Gnome.

-- Bhaskar

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Elizabeth Krumbach
<lyz@princessleia.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Paul L. Snyder <plsnyder@drexel.edu> wrote:
>> ÂSorry for the late announcement/reminder, but tonight's PLUG
>> ÂNorth meeting is still on!
>>
>> ÂThis month, PLUG North welcomes Âback Elizabeth Krumbach, who
>> Âwill be Âpresenting an introduction to the new release of Ubuntu
>> Â11.10, Oneiric Ocelot.
>
> Thanks to everyone who came out, we had 12 people and it was really
> nice to see everyone :)
>
> My slides are available here: http://www.slideshare.net/pleia2/ubuntu-1110plug
>
> And a reminder, I mentioned at the end of the meeting that there is an
> Ubuntu 11.10 release party tomorrow night at National Mechanics,
> details: http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/pennsylvania/1316/detail/
>
> --
> Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
> http://www.princessleia.com

Windows does to computers what smoking does to humans