Rich Freeman on 21 Oct 2011 11:17:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] compositing

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:59 PM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
> While configuring XFCE, I came across this option.  AFAIK (and researched)
> it's only relevant to bling like Compiz.  When I turn it off, one of the
> panels goes from clear to solid and that's about it.
>
> Does it serve any real purpose for users who go for bland over bling?

I can't speak to xubuntu specifically, but compiz in general is about
things like transparent moving windows, alt-tab giving you a spinning
cube, and such.

Some argue it can improve visualization beyond just being bling.  I
can see that being sometimes true, depending on how you configure
everything.  If you have hardware acceleration the CPU hit shouldn't
be horrible.

Per somebody else's suggestion I've been giving KDE 4.6.5 another
shot.  My experience is much better than it was before, although I did
have one situation with kded using 400% CPU (my first notice was the
beep from the motherboard thermal alarm - my cooling isn't quite ideal
so it thermal throttles on rare occasion, but usually it takes
something crazy like building chromium).  My only complaint is that
the default settings sometimes make it hard to tell what window has
the focus (you get stuff like a blue haze around the active window
with konsole).

I was also getting some crashes with desktop effects turned on until I
switched to kernel mode switching, which I really like now (it has
come a long way, apparently).  I even reduced my xorg.conf to only a
few lines.  So overall my X11 remake has been a good one.

Now if I can just get my dracut initramfs to recognize my raid without
dumping me to dash...

Rich