Rich Freeman on 23 Oct 2011 08:39:18 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ideas for class material

<
> Allow me to disagree: this is wrong. You need all of them to learn properly,
> especially in computer science. You cannot be a good
> technician/engineer/researcher without:
> - reading a shit lot of material, every day, some complex some not, in math,
> physics, electronic, computer architecture, etc...
> - building and maintaining infrastructures and dealing with the everyday's
> quirks of it
> - writing code and melting your brain trying to find that segfault bug
> somewhere deep in those 2000 lines of C
>
> You can try to do only one of those, and become really good at it.
> But one day, you will interview with Google, a place where they only hire
> engineers who know all three extremely well, and you will understand how
> foolish that was.

Perhaps, perhaps not, but I guess my question is why would you pay
$1000 to have an instructor tell you to write a paper?  You can write
a paper without paying anybody at all, and you can chat with people at
PLUG meetings for free as well, but if you want to spend a fraction of
that $1000 on food for us feel free.  :)

I realize that you can't change the reality that billionaires who made
money using linux without a CS degree wouldn't hire somebody without a
CS degree, but I just had to say it...

Rich